Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Because of His Innocent Blood


He was tried. He was innocent. He was beaten.
His blood flowed as He was whipped
Again and again and again.
And He thought of me
Even though I neglect Him and forget Him.
Even though my sins are overwhelming,
Still He continues to tell me,
“I love you,”
Through the crown of thorns He wore,
And through the cross that He bore.
It is through His blood that I am healed.
And through His blood, I am sealed;
I am His child.
I was the one who nailed Him to the cross,
I was the one who spat and mocked.
Yet, He was like a lamb led to be slaughtered.
Not once did He cry out,
Not once did He shout
Curses upon the sinner.
Instead He cried out:
“Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”
And as His blood poured out
And as He heard the crowd laugh and shout,
He saw my sickness and my bondage of sin.
For the joy set before Him, he endured it.
He suffered and bled, and He gave up His spirit.

The earth was dark.

And satan rejoiced, but not for long.
For the innocent lamb who shed innocent blood
Conquered death itself.
And the heavens rejoiced as the
Son of God took His seat at the right
Hand of the Father.
He was a perfect sacrifice.
And it is because of His innocent
Blood that I am free.

[written April 2010. Hope you enjoy!]

No comments:

Post a Comment